birding-aus

Illegal Logging in Siberia & Fate of Australian Swifts tied together.

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Illegal Logging in Siberia & Fate of Australian Swifts tied together.
From: Michael Tarburton <>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 09:58:16 +1100
Dear Birding Ausers

Since last year I have had a friend who lives in Mongolia photographing huge trains taking whole trees from Russia to China. The numbers are increasing & now the BBC have caught up with the illegal trade. The sad thing is the men in Russia who are paid to police the forests have little power & few resources to do so!

The White-throated Needletail nests in hollows of old trees from five species of these conifers that are being taken illegally even from the World Heritage listed National Park.

From my friends photos taken last year we counted 2400 trees going to China per day. This year he has recorded that many trees on a single train going to China.

I am working flat out entering into my computer the historical records of the WTNT from Australia to show statistically that this species is already declining. The decline I believe is most noticeable in Tassie & Vic. This I believe is because few birds fly further south than they need to and these leads to the feeding areas further north still with the appearance of maintaining normal numbers.

Have a look at the photos and listen to the BBC's sound recording at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/programmes/ 2009/10/091001_outlook_siberialogs.shtml?s

Sorry to bring such a gloomy topic to your notice but facts appear to be facts.

Cheers

Mike

Michael Tarburton