birding-aus

Wompoo Fruit-Dove, Fig Tree Pocket, Brisbane

To: "Birding-Aus (Forum)" <>
Subject: Wompoo Fruit-Dove, Fig Tree Pocket, Brisbane
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 18:29:18 +1000
Hi all,

I had a walk in my local patch in Brisbane today and found some very
interesting birds.  A flock of at least 4 White-winged Trillers, though not
new to the area (2 past records) was an exciting find.  The Rainbow
Bee-eaters are beginning to breed in the nearby Brisbane Pony Club, and
Pheasant Coucal, Channel-billed Cuckoos and Koels are calling nonstop now.
But the most exciting find for me was a single Wompoo Fruit-Dove in Biami
Yumba park, a new bird for this site (according to my records anyway).
While I doubt the pigeon will hang around, this area is great for Brisbane
birders in the western suburbs.  My list for the area is now at 143
species.  For more information check out my Wildiaries entry for Biami Yumba
park and the Botticelli St riparian strip.

Biami Yumba   http://aussiebirding.wildiaries.com/trips/147
Botticelli St        http://aussiebirding.wildiaries.com/trips/161

Regards,
Chris