birding-aus

Black-tailed Native-hens

Subject: Black-tailed Native-hens
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 13:30:53 +1000
Hi birders,

There seems to be an influx of Black-tailed Native-hens around the Blue Mtns and Capertee areas at the moment. On Tuesday I saw one at a dam in the Capertee Valley, and in the past week they have been seen at Lake Wallace (Wallerawang, near Lithgow), at a dam north of Capertee, and Jill Dark told me that one has turned up in a backyard in Woodford (in the the central Blue Mountains). These are all new locations for the species except the Capertee Valley, where there have been a couple of records in prevous years.

Interesting also to read that Richard Johnstone also found one at Mt Annan Botanic Garden, in the south-western part of the Sydney basin.

My guess is that inland rains may have created good conditions for them to breed earlier in the year and now drying conditions in some of those areas are forcing them into new places.

Cheers,

Carol

Carol Probets
Blue Mountains, NSW