birding-aus

female kestrel chasing corella

To: birding aus <>
Subject: female kestrel chasing corella
From: Gary Wright <>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 09:21:05 +0930
Djarindjin Dampier peninsula near Broome walking last night and I saw
female kestrel in pursuit of corella.   My first thought when I saw
the action was collared sparrowhawk male due to size, but the bird
gave up  chase and landed in open nearby.  The bird was female kestrel
which surprised me greatly given I had read  in Cupper's book many
years ago that the main prey item brought to the nest was
grasshoppers!   A short time later, a corella was coming the other way
and I said to my wife, "that corella had better look out there is a
kestrel down there punching above its weight".  Almost immediately the
kestrel was off in pursuit of the corella, with corella turning and
heading back the way it had come.  What was odd, was the kestrel
appeared faster than the corella, but was tail chasing it and even if
it had caught it, I can't see how it could have effected a kill.
HANZAB indicates mice and small birds as the largest prey for
kestrels.

Gary