birding-aus

little curlew and oriental plover

To: birding aus <>
Subject: little curlew and oriental plover
From: Gary Wright <>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 13:15:29 +0930
At Djarindjin on Dampier Peninsula near Broome just over the sand dune
to the beach there is an area which still has some water lying with
some longer green grass around it.  Attention drawn to long necked
waders by water, which in the end turned out to be three Oriental
Plovers.  Not skittish.  While watching them a  little curlew came
into view feeding amongst the grass.  Coming from down south these are
only my second sightings of both species.  I might get more 'used' to
them as the wet season progresses, but Oriental Plover was one of
those elusive birds down south that I never got to see.

Another one of those was long toed stint, which I used to keep an eye
out for by looking for the yellow legs.  Looking in my new Pizzey I
see that yellow legs are in fact variable and can be green or grey!
The point of this discussion is that I think I saw some at viewing
platform opposite Broome Bird observatory but didn't consider them at
the time and now can't be absolutely sure, so can't count them!  There
were a lot of people there at the time and I just wanted to move on
didn't take much notice of what the birds were or try and work it out.
 Going over the list when I got home I kicked myself as quite possibly
they were long toed stints which would have been another new bird.

A lesson in taking more care.

Gary