birding-aus

Lost Field Guide

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Lost Field Guide
From: "Roger Giller" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 23:40:18 +1000
Hi Birders,

I recently lost my copy of Simpson & Day, 7th edition. I know it's a slim
chance but I have to ask if any-one on this list has come across it.

We were walking on the Junction Track in Girraween National Park, Qld, on Sept
14. I stopped to look at a new (for me) bird, and asked my wife to pass me the
guide. She said "I thought you had it". In short, I can only surmise that I
have put it down to photograph a flower or scenery, or one of the several
skinks we saw, and left it when we moved on. I did all the usual things like
re-trace our steps, question the few other walkers we met and enter it in the
"lost and found" book at the rangers station but to no avail.

It had all the dates and locations of first sightings in the margins.
Thankfully I have a database record of these as well.
I had also purchased a copy of Morecombe a couple of weeks earlier, and we
still have our original S&D 3rd edition, now falling in to 3 pieces. Still, the
lost guide has some sentimental value as we used it on our round-Australia trip
in 2007.

Incidentally, while I was re-tracing our steps my wife waited patiently and got
excellent views of the Yellow-tufted Honeyeater that we originally stoped for.

A 6 week Grey Nomad trip from Sydney through south-east Qld, sightseeing,
bushwalking and driving with mostly incidental birding yielded 144 species
including 10 lifers.

Many Thanks

Roger Giller