birding-aus

Pied Currawong practising calls

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Pied Currawong practising calls
From: John Leonard <>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 07:08:47 +1000
Hi all

Last week I sent a message to BA describing what I thought was a Pied
Currawong practising one of its calls quietly in the early morning
(quoted below)

I have been advised by someone very learned in bird-calls that what I
heard was the male breeding-season song. This is usually given quietly
very early in the morning, Sydney dialect songs are described as
"kwee, kooweee, with the koo very short" and Brisbane dialect ones as
'ow-ooo ow-ooo', or 'ow-ooo ow-ooo ow-ooo', so my 'where di-yup' i
similar to the Sydney version, but different from teh Brisbane one
(which I suppose is to be expected)..

"This morning quite early I heard a Pied Currawong outside our house in
suburban Canberra, amidst the normal gamut of calls, saying 'where
di-yup' loudly and triumphantly.

(If this isn't a familiar to birding-ausers in other parts, it's
probably a Canberra dialect call).

Anyway, this solves a mystery, a few weeks ago I heard a bird in the
very early morning praticising a 'where di-yup' call, but very quietly
so I couldn't connect it to the familiar Currawong call. It repeated
just this one phrase over and over again.

Now I have made the connection I have a wonderful image of a Pied
Currawong waking up very early and very tentatively practising the
call sotto voce until it got it right and was able to go public with
it.

Does anyone know of other reports of Pied Currawongs or other spp
practising calls softly?"

--
John Leonard
Canberra

"I rejoice that there are owls." Thoreau