birding-aus

Gloucester birds and no koels

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Gloucester birds and no koels
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 22:53:56 +1000
Dear all

Today several flocks of Yellow-faced Honeyeaters streamed past my house midday, twittering like mad. Also I've heard Leaden Flycathers and a friend had a large group of Olive-backed Orioles in her garden. Satin Bowerbirds (presumed female), White-browed Scrubbird, Red Wattlebird, Red-browed Finches all collecting nesting material, Yellow-rumped Thornbills with juvenile in the birdbath.

Yesterday a Kookaburra sitting on the fence, flew down and picked up a very dead frog, a real stiffy, shook it violently as it was covered in ants and flew back to the fence, where it then shook its head several times to get rid of more ants. It beat and chewed the frog carcass until the legs fell off and then swallowed the stiff dry body. Looked very happy.

Scarlet Honeyeaters are calling non-stop, as are White-throated Gerygones, Bar-shouldered doves and many other birds - the lovely cacophony of spring, but so far no Koels to keep me awake at night.

Talking of Koels, the secret is just to be thankful you have such interesting birds around you, relax and if you still can't sleep, could the calls, just like counting sheep jumping over a gate.