birding-aus

RFI Kangaroo Island, Mallee, SW-WA

Subject: RFI Kangaroo Island, Mallee, SW-WA
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:40:31 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,

Tomorrow we will be going to
1. Kangaroo Island - Gluepot - Hattah Kulkyne - Little Desert
2. SW-WA

Our itinerary looks like this:

day1: afternoon ferry to Kangaroo Island
day2: KangarooIsland– evening ferry to Cape Jervis–4.5hrs– towards Gluepot
day3: Gluepot
day4: Gluepot –4hrs– Hattah Kulkyne
day5: Hattah Kulkyne –4hrs– Little Desert
day6: Little Desert –5hrs– Melbourne
day7: Melbourne
day8: MEL-PER –2.5hrs– Dryandra (RottnestIsland?, Northam?)
day9: Dryandra
day10: Dryandra
day11: Dryandra –3.5hrs– Stirling Range
day12: StirlingRangePorongurup NP?
day13: StirlingRange –1.5hrs–Two Peoples Bay
day14: TwoPeoplesBay/Waychinicup NR
day15: Two Peoples Bay –3.5hrs– Nornalup NP – Manjimup –1hr– Cape Leeuwin Perup
NR?
day16: CapeLeeuwin–1.75hrs– M’River/Sugarloaf Island/Cape Naturaliste –4.75hrs–
Perth
day17: RottnestIsland?; afternoon back to SYD

We would like to see as many bird and mammal specialties as possible, but are
also very interested in other wildlife as well as orchids. What do you guys
think about this itinerary. Would you add destinations? We are relatively
flexible since we will have a camper van both in the mallee as well as in
SW-WA. Do you have current information about difficult-to-see species (e.g.
Malleefowl, Mallee Emu-wren, Black-eared Miner, Mallee and Western Whipbird,
Western Bristlebird, Noisy Scrub-bird, Numbat, Honey Possum...)?

Cheers,

Nikolas
Nikolas Haass

Sydney, NSW