birding-aus

Olive-backed Oriole calling south of Hamilton, Vic

Subject: Olive-backed Oriole calling south of Hamilton, Vic
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 11:07:46 +0800 (WST)
G'day all

I heard an Olive-backed Oriole calling from a roadside plantation a couple
of km south of Hamilton this morning.  This is my first record near
Hamilton since I moved here in 1982.  It is 30 km south west of the
closest Atlas record in the southern Grampians near Dunkeld.  Orioles are
only occasional visitors in the Grampians - I have a couple of records
near Dunkeld - but occur regularly in the coastal forests near Portland to
the south.  What is their migration path I wonder.

My first garden Shining Bronze-Cuckoo turned up on Saturday 5th Sep.  This
is almost exactly the middle date of the 16 or so first return records I
have for home.

Cheers
Steve