birding-aus

Birds as food items for spiders.

To: dblewett <>, Janet Goodall <>, Alan Gillanders <>
Subject: Birds as food items for spiders.
From: Del Richards <>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 20:23:09 +1000
About a year ago the subject of birds as food items of spiders was well illustrated on the Internet with the victim being an adult Chestnut-breasted Mannikin all wrapped up in a web of a Golden Orb-weaver. (Nephila spp). In the Wet Tropics their webs are commonly seen around foliage adjacent to rainforest during the warmer months and are so named as their webs have golden strands. I have a monthly talkback radio segment in Cairns and as a result of the aforementioned email a listener from Malanda sent me an image of a Red-browed Firetail bound up in a Golden Orb's web. In this instance its head was missing and it seems creditable that the spider had removed it. While on tour last Friday we visited an avenue of flowering grevillias to locate honeyeater species. We were nicely surprised with the good numbers of both honeyeaters and lorikeets in attendance and the nectar appeared to be flowing readily due to an overnight shower. One of our party beckoned us to a sad sight. There was an immature male Scarlet Honeyeater bound up in a Nephila Spider's web. It was a surprisingly small web and was strategically placed high in one of the grevillea trees about three metres from the ground. This chance predation of smaller bird species may be a regular occurence in the tropics however it seems that it has not been reported on many occassions.

Del. Richards, Fine Feather Tours, Mossman, NQ.