birding-aus

Back to the Magpie thing

To: "birds" <>
Subject: Back to the Magpie thing
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 11:16:43 +1000
Following on from my comments of a week or so ago regarding Magpie
attacks – I was attacked this morning for only the second time in many,
many years!
At first I thought he’d run into my head by mistake but his (?) repeated
approaches to my helmeted head were not a mistake! I was moving slowly
climbing a small hill and watched his shadow to prepare for the impact
each time he struck. I didn’t feel in any danger, however, given the
bike helmet and wrap around sunglasses I was wearing – and my confidence
on the bike despite being on a narrow part of the busy road - however, I
have to admit, for one less confident or surprised it could be a
disturbing incident!
I do not intend to stick plastic ties in my helmet and look like an
extra in a Star Wars movie, but I will be more alert in that immediate
area as it is a non-avoidable part of the ride to work. It did actually
feel at times he wanted to perch on my head, which would have been
interesting, but he gave up after about 30 meters and perched on a fence
to watch me pedal out of his territory. I told him to “get off it”, but
doubt he paid much attention!

Cheers
Colin
Brisbane