birding-aus

pitta

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: pitta
From: John Leonard <>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 07:18:47 +1000
This leads me on a train of thought, presumably this bird arrived at a
suitable patch of forest and stayed for a few days as it polished off
all the snails in the area.

In Canberra, and presumably other cities on the eastern seaboard, the
introduced Garden Snail is very common in well-established gardens.
Why don't Pittas take more of an advantage of what must be to them the
equivalent of a Double Whopper? Why don't we see more Pittas in
Sydney, Brisbane &c suburban areas (obviously not Canberra) on
migration, or even as breeders? I suppose there are too many cats and
dogs and not enough vegetation of the right structure....

John Leonard

--
John Leonard
Canberra

"I rejoice that there are owls." Thoreau