birding-aus

Re: How will this affect the St Helens and Eaglehawk pelagics?

Subject: Re: How will this affect the St Helens and Eaglehawk pelagics?
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 15:55:18 +0800

Laurie Knight wrote:
>The Leeuwin Current now extends to St Helens
>
>http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090807103907.htm
>
>Highest Ever Winter Water Temperatures Recorded
>ScienceDaily (Aug. 7, 2009) ­ Tasmania?s east coast is recording its
>highest-ever winter water temperatures of more than 13ºC ? up to 1.5ºC
>above normal ? due to a strengthening of an ocean current originating
>north of Australia

This is not the Leeuwin Current, which runs down the west coast.  It must be a current down the east coast.  The Leeuwin Current has extended past Albany in recent years, with species such as Bridled Tern now breeding as far east as the Recherche Archipeligo near Esperance.

The Perth pelagic trip on 2nd August had the lowest water temperatures for several years.  Back to where they should be.  The temperature was about 18C, where in the past few years we have still had up to 22C in early August.  Didn't help with the petrels though with a very low count, but very high numbers of Yellow-nosed Albatross and Australasian Gannets.