birding-aus

Black Cockatoos in Bendigo area

To: <>
Subject: Black Cockatoos in Bendigo area
From: "Bob Cook" <>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 17:13:15 +1000
Hi all

Interesting recent multiple observations of YTBC's around Bendigo in Central
Vic.  I have now had three first-hand reports of groups of up to 30-ish from
three different sources from East Bendigo, Epsom and Strathfieldsaye, plus
Greg Shelton's report on Birdline today of birds in Kangaroo Flat.  Greg's
comment was he had not seen them in 50 years in Bendigo.  I have only been
in the general area on and off over the past 15 years and have not seen them
North of Woodend.

Wonder what is different for them to come here!!  Again possibly loss of
habitat in the bushfire affected areas that are about 80 to 100kms
South-East of here!?

There have also been a few recent reports from suburban Melbourne.

Bob Cook

Axedale