birding-aus

FW: Birdwatchers No Featherweights in Contributionsto Economy

Subject: FW: Birdwatchers No Featherweights in Contributionsto Economy
From: Dave Torr <>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 10:04:22 +1000
I quite agree Gary (and Rosemary) - I find lots of people who know I am a
birder ask me questions about birds they have seen or tell me about birds in
their garden - of course it is doubtful if these people make much economic
contribution to the value of birding, but some may eventually "progress" - I
have a friend who I have managed to corrupt and is now a keen birder! But
all these people are clearly interested.

I think you would get similar results (and debate!) if you asked about
cricket (although obviously not in the US!) - many people would be
interested to the extent of wanting to know if we won or lost the Ashes. A
smaller number would read the reports in the paper or watch highlights on
TV. An even smaller number would watch it live on TV (especially when it is
in the UK and involves staying up late) and a smaller number again would go
to matches in Aus - and finally a few "hard core" types (like 700+ birders)
would attend all of their team's matches no matter where they are. The last
group would probably dismiss most of the previous categories as not being
really interested!