birding-aus

Birding ecomonics

To: Alan McBride <>, Steve <>
Subject: Birding ecomonics
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 07:06:57 +0930
I found little such ignorance in my 2.1/2 months in the USA.  However, I did
meet birdwatchers who, although they may not have seen a large number of
species, knew the birds of their particular area inside out.  Plus  just
about every other living creature as well.  Many, mostly women, just didn't
talk about how much they knew.

One example was 84 year-old Muriel Horacek, of Los Angeles who never ceased
to amaze me with her knowledge .  Whatever garden bird I asked about knew
the species and its habits.

Another friend, Ros, living outside of Boone, North Carolina, also knew her
birds, plus mammals, butterflies and trees. Her report of a Mississippi
Kite, the first for the area, was dismissed, until she produced a photo.

Another friend living in the Smokey Mountains, Tennessee, was a plant
enthusiast, and mentioned little about birds until I asked. Yes, she knew
most of those in the area.  They just weren't her primary interest.

One woman I met in McAllen was once an erotic dancer, then a real estate
agent, and now manages Quinta Mazatlan, part of the World Birding Center.
Colleen hasn't been birding that long, but she quickly identified an Olive
Sparrow among other birds.  Without her verve and guts, birding in that area
would probably have lost out to the authorities who are more  interested in
another tourism market - Mexicans flooding across the border to shop!

Incidentally, many of the "snowbirds" who attended my lecture at QM, had
been to Australia.  Most, like almost every other audience I had consisted
of senior women and couples.

Too often there is a sense that birdwatching is for the experts alone.  One
woman even told me that she'd been "corrected"  when she referred to herself
as a "birdwatcher"!   By the term she meant that she  was interested in more
than just listing.

Some years ago  I decided not to work with international bird tour operators
after experiences where tour leaders raced off ahead with a few clients,
leaving the majority standing bewildered and leaderless.  When one tour
leader demanded to know why I hadn't gone ahead too, I told her that most of
her group was not interested in chasing a single bird.  She retorted that
they shouldn't have joined her tour if birds weren't their sole interest
(meaning, I assumed, listing).  I pointed out that if she made that a rule
she would lose over 2/3 of her clients.  Now bird tour operators are
realising that to survive they need to adopt a more holistic attitude.

Lastly, I wrote my "Birds of Australia's Top End" to suit my clients, most
of whom are American.   Yet it was dismissed by some Australian birders as
"not a true birder's book".  One reason was that it contained humour, sex
and anecdotes.  I took that particular comment to some American birders I
dined with in Texas.  They didn't agree.   One of them,  probably the best
known researcher of US avitourism, then offered to be a  reviewer for my
PhD.

And yes, Alan is right about the economics.  Everywhere we went  in the US,
there were bird feeders.  And then there were the "snowbirds" who travelled
long distances both to escape the northern winter and see to migratory
birds.

And children were welcome at places such as Warbler Woods.  It was wonderful
to see seasoned birders, both men and women, taking the time and patience to
involve them.  So good on you, Alan.  So far my little neighbours are only
interested in the dead snakes I keep in my freezer (until they go to the
museum), but I hold out hope

Denise

Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow
PO Box 3460 NT 0832, AUSTRALIA
Ph. 61 08 89 328306
Mobile: 04 386 50 835

Birdwatching and Indigenous tourism consultant
PhD Candidate

http:// www.denisegoodfellow.com
http://web.mac.com/goodfellowdl
http://www.earthfoot.org