birding-aus

World Bird Sightings Software

Subject: World Bird Sightings Software
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 02:03:44 +0800

I have reached the point where I want to collate my world list. I am looking for the best software to use to do this.

I thought that this was covered fairly well a while ago on birding-aus, but I can't find the postings through Google or the archives. There is mention of World Bird Plus and Birdinfo. I have Googled these but not found a lot of information other than where to purchase them.

I have the following requirements :

1. To keep my world bird (and hopefully mammal) records. Also if possible my Australian reptile, frog and butterfly records.

2. Taxonomy. I currently lean towards using the IOC (International Ornithological Congress) checklist as published in Birds of The World Recommended English Names by Frank Gill and Minturn Wright in 2006. The book includes a CD with an Excel spreadsheet. They have a web site which has the updates. I also have Clements 6th edition, but this taxonomy varies more from the Australian list.

3. I would like to record each state and territory for Australia. Elsewhere in the world it would not be important to sub divide countries.

4. I would need to record sightings of Introduced species, as I would count them on my country or state list, but not my world list. I understand that some software caters for this.

5. I understand that some software can print bird lists for an area before you visit, making it much easier to determine what species would be new and which I would have seen before. However, most trips that I go on have bird lists for each day, or I can get a list from various web sites such as Avibase, Surfbirds, etc. But I would need to go through and mark what I have seen previously.

So I would be grateful if the birding-aus community could recommend the best solution.

1. What programs are out there?

2. What taxonomies can be used by each of them?

3. How are taxonomic updates handled?

4. Do they handle mammals, etc?

5. Do they flag Introduced species?

6. Do they allow State & Territory lists which would be combined into a country list?

Any other factors that are important.

Thanks in advance