birding-aus

RFI Darwin (in January)

To: ? birding-aus <>
Subject: RFI Darwin (in January)
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 20:09:47 +1000
I have a milestone birthday coming up in December, and it looks like I have
convinced my wife that what I would really like is a trip to Darwin in the wet
(in January). I have been trying for a few years, and given she now has a good
friend living there it looks like I might be in luck. Part of the trip is for
birds, but some is just to see that part of the world in the middle of the wet
to see what it is really like.

Below is the list of species (and subspecies) that I would be looking for,
though realistically probably only a few are likely to be achievable. I have a
retrieved a number of locations from the archives, so I have a reasonable idea
of where I should go (though a few marked with * I have very little info). Any
additional info (particularly experience at this time of year) would be
appreciated. I note McRie and Watson is about to be reissued, so I might
investigate purchasing that if people think it is useful.

However, some other specific questions I have are more general about visiting
the Top End at that time of year. Any answers to the following would be greatly
appreciated:
Are any hotels/resorts likely to be open or as this is outside of tourist
season do they just close up shop?If they are open, are they likely to have
special deals (normally I would stay at a motel or the like, but having the
family and knowing it is likely to be uncomfortable probably happy to try for a
little bit of luxury).Normally I would book airfares over the internet (will
probably drive to Adelaide rather than do the additional Mildura-Melbourne
flights) but are there likely to be special "package deals" available at this
time.Are places like Fogg Dam, Kakadu (Yellow Waters/Nourlangie Rock/Jabiru)
and Litchfield NP accessible at this time of year (either in a hire car or on
an organised tour)? I have been to Kakadu before and obviously places like
Gunlom and Ubirr are unlikely to be accessible, but I would like to get the
family out there at some stage. Litchfield I haven't been to, but would also be
interesting.Does anyone have any info on tours to the Tiwi Islands - I know
there are cultural tours, but would be interesting to get out to Melville?
Island overnight.
I realise it is likely to be wet and unpleasant, but any info on a trip at this
time of year would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Peter

Garganey?
Chestnut Rail
Red-backed Button-quail
Little Ringed Plover
Swinhoe’s Snipe
Oriental Pratincole
Yellow Chat*
Northern Shrike-tit*
Red-rumped Swallow?
Yellow-rumped Mannikin

King Quail
Sooty Oystercatcher?
Emerald Dove
Masked Owl?
Little Kingfisher
Helmeted Friarbird
Mangrove Robin
Black Butcherbird
Zitting Cisticola
Horsfield’s Bushlark*
Australian Pipit*

View photos of singles in your area Click Here
http://dating.ninemsn.com.au/search/search.aspx?exec=go&tp=q&gc=2&tr=1&lage=18&uage=55&cl=14&sl=0&dist=50&po=1&do=2&trackingid=1046138&r2s=1&_t=773166090&_r=WLM_EndText==============================www.birding-aus.org