birding-aus

Regent Bowerbird

To: Carl Clifford <>, Peter Adderley <>
Subject: Regent Bowerbird
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 11:46:44 +1000
Anecdote from the past.  Say about 50 years ago.  O'Reilly's Guesthouse,
Lamington N. P.  Fed the birds, for the entertainment of the guests.  Regent
Bowerbirds very popular because of the colour.

Bernard O'Reilly (he of the Stinson crash fame) could hold out his hand with
food and have a male Regent sit on it to eat.

But Bernard did not approve of the numerous currawongs: large, greedy, and
bullying of other birds.  Currawongs arrive and Bernard would go towards
them, waving his arms and shouting, "Go on, Currawongs.  Get away!"
The Currawongs would depart.  Meanwhile the Regents would just sit quietly
waiting.  They knew Bernard wasn't shouting at them.

A fine act for the entertainment of O'Reilly's visitors.  (And a further
example of the intelligence of birds.)

Cheers

Syd