birding-aus

Fiji

To: <>
Subject: Fiji
From: "David Kowalick" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 20:42:16 +0930
Hi David

If you are looking for birds and field guides in Fiji I agree with others
that "A guide to the bids of Fiji and Western Polynesia" by Dick Watling is
a good book but very hard to actually find in Fiji. Another option is a
pocket field guide (10cmx15cm) published by the Fiji Museum called "Birds of
the Fiji Bush" It is readily available in the Museum in Suva and also in
most of the bigger Dept stores such as Jacks, Prouds and others (although
you may have to try a few out before finding it). The illustrations are
large and helpful and the text concise but enough detail to head you in the
right direction. The best place to head for birding is the Island of
Tavenui.

Near Nandi you could try getting up to the real bush in the mountains (most
of the bush around Nandi is really just weeds). The Fiji bird list is pretty
short but many of the birds are spectacular. Collared Lory for instance, or
Many Coloured Fruit dove and the Orange Dove. I was there just this month
from June 1 -13 on a work trip but managed a few quick birding
opportunities. Email me for more info if you need it.

Cheers

David Kowalick