birding-aus

RFI Hong Kong

To: <>, birding-aus <>
Subject: RFI Hong Kong
From: Bill Jolly <>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 22:42:38 +1000
Hi Tom

Firstly, I endorse everything Paul Dodd has said. Good luck fitting it in on a
non-birding family holiday!

I reckon that Tsim Sha Tsui is a great place to stay to get a feel for what's
left of the old Hong Kong. Even though the old Kowloon was finally demolished
in the nineties, you can still venture into Chun King Mansions on Nathan Road
at Tsim Sha Tsui, a bazaar by any other name, and that's also where you'll get
the very best exchange rates from Pakistani-run kiosks. Plenty of eateries
along Cameron Road.

I'll just add that non-birding family walks in both Kowloon Park, behind the
mosque, and Victoria Park on Hong Kong Island can deliver several 'firsts' if
you haven't been to China before - and now the Asian and Eastern Koel are split
too, so even if like me you can't see or hear any difference, you can still
tick it.

All the best

Bill Jolly