birding-aus

WA Auditor-General Criticises DEC Conservation Programs

To: "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: WA Auditor-General Criticises DEC Conservation Programs
From: "Stewart Ford" <>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 13:54:20 +0800
I guess the flipside of the funding issue is that the DEC apparently
received 109 million over that period (combined state & federal
contributions, p. 9), of which 8.2 million was spent on 'direct threatened
species activities'.  It may be worth reading the rest of the report to see
if this is elaborated & where the other funding may have been spent, e.g.
reserve management, biological surveys, fire management etc.

It's also worth reminding those that don't know that under current
legislation the Minister for the Environment can decide to ignore advise
given by the DEC/EPA etc. that a particular project should not go ahead
based on environmental values, and sign it off based on other (e.g. economic
or social) values.  Again I need to read the report a little more fully to
see if this is taken into account somewhere.

Stewart Ford