birding-aus

Qld Eastern Bristlebird Breeding ProgramAxed

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Qld Eastern Bristlebird Breeding ProgramAxed
From: Burnice Starkey <>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 02:53:50 +0000
More assistance required!!

Last night, at the Brisbane Bushwalker Club meeting, where approximately 100
members attended, I delivered an educational presentation about the EBB, it's
demise, threats and habitat requirements. I then charged the walkers with the
challenge to go out and discover new suitable terrain where the bird maybe
living unknown to us. I asked that they also help in our volunteer group headed
by Sheena Gillman, to assist in vegetation maintenance and survey work.

Furthermore, I have been asked to write a similar piece for Qld Bushwalkers
Association to attract yet a larger population.

Through Sheena, farmers are being educated on habitat and improved fire
regimes. Private landowners are helping enormously.

Nevertheless, what good will this all do, if we do have suitable habitat and no
birds left to re-introduce!!

We need to continue to pressure State and Fed Gov to budget for the captive
breeding program.  John Young aptly stated: the taxpayers money has been spent,
just a little more cash would keep it going on the desired track. The goals
were achieved on a small scale The program was a success and now we are going
back to weeding. Madness.

Condamine Alliance which gained funding for the EBB project budgeted under the
misinformation that the breeding would continue through other(State) funding.
Therefore, only $5000 was allocated to the said program. With the axing of the
David Fleay's Park work an enormous hole has appeared in the planning.

I say pressure State and Fed Gov to readdress this.

Or will they be held responsible for the extinction of a species??

Don't let it happen.

Happy Birding

Burney