birding-aus

Is this usual ?

To: <>, <>, ? birding-aus <>
Subject: Is this usual ?
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 12:12:44 +1000
Yes what I have been told by guides on the local paddle steamers in Mildura is
that the levels of oxygen in the river fall sufficiently in the cold weather
that the Bony Bream die, and that this attracts birds at this time of year
(particularly Pelicans). Not certain that is the exact answer, but something is
happening to the fish (maybe just water temperature is too cold?) and the bird
numbers do seem to increase.
I was just thinking yesterday as I drove to work over the Mildura Bridge that I
hadn't noticed a build up of pelicans this year, but maybe they are still up
north having too much fun in the Lake Eyre floods to bother about a few fish in
the Murray River.
Cheers,
Peter