birding-aus

Accipiter v Accipiter

To: <>
Subject: Accipiter v Accipiter
From: michael wood <>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 22:00:30 +0930
Hello Nigel

Here is my opinion on what the two birds are in your pictures.

Photo

1.       Top Bird Collared Sparrowhawk because of the very square nature of the
tail, rather than rounded. There are definite shoulders/corners at the bottom
of the tail. I don’t know about the bottom bird but I suspect it may be an
immature sparrowhawk with worn plumage/tail feathers???
2.       Same as above. (When I went back to this photograph and zoomed in I
noticed that the bottom bird did not appear to have the longer front middle toe
suggestive of a Brown Goshawk.)
3.       Collared Sparrowhawk –very square nature of tail; brow not overly
prominent –in brown goshawks the brow is quite prominent and makes the bird
look like it is scowling (subjective).
4.       I believe the top bird to be a Collared Sparrowhawk –the tail still
has a very square look about it, even though it is not the best angle to view
the bird from, and; there appears to be a hint of a long toe. The bottom bird
looks like a Collared Sparrowhawk also, as the eye does not appear to have the
prominent brown of a brown goshawk???
5.       To me, the bird in this shot looks like an immature Brown Goshawk; its
tail has a definite roundness to it and is long in relation to the body when
compared with the Collared Sparrowhawk –even given wear, and; whereas in the
fourth photograph the brow could not be seen well here it looks to have a
definite ridge over the top part of the eye and it looks like the bird is not
happy and glowering.
6.       This bird is a Collared Sparrowhawk –the tail is in good condition and
is clearly square -it looks like someone has taken a pair of scissors and
snipped off the round end; also the tail is relatively short in relation to the
body and wings, and; although not definitive, the eye does not appear to have
much of brow.
7.       Top bird is a Collared Sparrowhawk, for all the reasons outlined
above. The bottom bird, I believe, is a Brown Goshawk because of the round
nature of the tail.
8.       Top bird Collared Sparrowhawk –square tail. Bottom bird, immature
Brown Goshawk.
Initially, I suspected the immature, larger bird to be a Collared Sparrowhawk
in worn plumage. In later shots it becomes clearer to me that it is a young
Brown Goshawk.

*Initially, I suspected the immature, larger bird to be a Collared Sparrowhawk
in worn plumage. In later shots it becomes clearer to me that it is a young
Brown Goshawk.

Regards,
Michael Wood

View photos of singles in your area Click Here
http://dating.ninemsn.com.au/search/search.aspx?exec=go&tp=q&gc=2&tr=1&lage=18&uage=55&cl=14&sl=0&dist=50&po=1&do=2&trackingid=1046138&r2s=1&_t=773166090&_r=WLM_EndText==============================www.birding-aus.org