birding-aus

Re: EDEN PELAGIC REPORT 31st May 2009.

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Re: EDEN PELAGIC REPORT 31st May 2009.
From: jenny spry <>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 11:21:11 +1000
Hi all,

It really was a great trip because not only did we see the Light-mantled
Sooty Albatross for the second May trip in succession this one was an
immature and the marking were spectacular; it was so different from an adult
that when it was first called at a distance from the boat there was briefly
one of those "yes it is no it isn't" discussions but it finally came in
close and flew behind the boat before settling to pose for some nice photo
ops.
Returning to port there was one lone prion which, on checking Harrison's
Seabirds, was definitely a Slender-billed Prion and on looking at photos I
took there was at least one feeding when we were berleying.

Strangely there were no storm petrels and very few petrels. It will be
interesting to read what was seen up the coast off Woolongong on the same
day.

It is also always nice to see so many White-fronted Terns and Black-faced
Cormorants hanging around inside Twofold Bay.

All up I had 16 species of seabird out at the edge of the shelf and 5 more
back in shore making 21 species from the boat for the day.

cheers

Jenny