birding-aus

Diamond Dove, Common Sandpiper and other interesting birds at ETP, Melbo

To: "Mike Carter" <>, "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Diamond Dove, Common Sandpiper and other interesting birds at ETP, Melbourne, on 24 May
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 15:44:37 +1000
Thanks for your excellent analysis Mike. There may be a potential for a few
more turning up in southern Victoria. I wonder if there are any unusual
patterns for DD in NSW i.e. records towards the coast. From looking at NSW
Birdline it's hard to determine, DD doesn't seem to be a reportable bird in
that state.

It's actually refreshing news for me personally, especially in terms of my 2009
Victorian list. After I went for the Westgate Diamond Dove I was faced with a
birding dilemma: should my list be 310 with the Diamond Dove included or 309
without. I'd actually put my foot in both camps, 309 / 310.

With tongue firmly planted in cheek, I don't suppose we can call the Mandarin
Duck at Dight's Falls a wild bird? Vagrants are vagrants, despite how rare or
improbably they may be. I suppose the circular ring around its leg is a bit of
a give away, see http://www.eremaea.com/sightingphotos/9194.jpg (I'm also
spliting Yellow Rosella and returning White-backed and Black-backed Magpies
back to full species status.)

Cheers,

Tim