birding-aus

RFI Vietnam

To: Mick Roderick <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: RFI Vietnam
From: Helen Larson <>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 18:42:38 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Mick,
   two years ago I was in Hanoi for work and made trips out to Cuc Phuong and
Tam Dao National Parks, and can recommend Cuc Phuong as a great place if you
spend a bit of time - saw lots of good things and would have seen more if I'd
stayed longer. Outside reserves, birds have largely been eaten (literally)
and hunting with rifle is a tourist sport in Tam Dao. I was very polite to the
5 guys I met with rifles, they proudly showed me dead birds and squirrel and
half-dead ashy drongo.
   at present I am travelling (more work) and so don't have all my notes with
me but if you can wait till after the 12th June when I get back I can give you
some more info.
   I will say that the main problem is the language -I had someone to drive me
around which made life easier.
   Helen