birding-aus

RFI - Tiritiri Matangi

To: "inger vandyke" <>, <>
Subject: RFI - Tiritiri Matangi
From: "Rosemary Royle" <>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 13:02:57 +0100
You'd be lucky to get photographable views of Kokako on a day trip to Tiritiri
Matangi - but then, you just might be lucky. They are a hard bird to see.

The Wattle Track is reckoned to be the best place to find them (and many other
birds besides e.g. Stitchbirds and Saddlebacks) but we spent the best part of 3
days on the island last October and only had poor views of parts of Kokakos
through leaves. While we were there, a South African photographer (quite well
known but his name escapes me) had good but brief views of birds hopping across
the Ridge Track - I don't know if managed to get photos.

Takahe can be found around the bunkhouse and along the track along the Eastern
edge of the island. The easiest one to photograph is Greg as he is so tame but
he does have a phenomenal number of rings on his legs which rather lessens the
appeal of the photos!  (Also there is very likely to be a human leg in the
photo as well!)

Rosemary Royle
Wales, UK