birding-aus

Stubble Quail at St Helens, Tasmania

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Stubble Quail at St Helens, Tasmania
From: Ian May <>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 12:21:35 +1000
Last Monday, 18th May we caught a glimpse of a mid sized quail scurrying on the ground through dense garden shrubbery on a steep bank behind our shed on Tasman Highway, St Helens. The impression from the brief view was it looked paler and less robust than Brown Quail, a bird often seen near St Helens. Thinking possible Painted because occasionally we see them around here as well and the habitat more likely, I gathered my binoculars searching for ten minutes, eventually decided to put that observation down to experience after not finding it.

Then this morning, about 5 metres from the monday observation, lying dead in the middle of the driveway was one dead male Stubble Quail. I went to find a freezer bag and in that short period a visitor arrived running over and flattening my perfect corpse. According to the books, apparently Stubble Quail are uncommon in Tasmania except King Island. ===============================