birding-aus

Purple Swamphen in Birdata

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Purple Swamphen in Birdata
From: John Leonard <>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 07:43:03 +1000
Purple Swamphens have a huge range, from Spain to South Africa to the
Philippines and Palau to Fiji and Samoa.

I'm quite sure no-one needed to introduce them to Lord Howe and
Norfolk Islands, all that was needed was for humans to clear forest
and create open grassland, and they were away!

And they, or an ancestral species and the modern form, must have
colonised New Zealand twice: the first colonisation resulted in the
Takahe, the second was recent, as NZ birds are sub-specifically
identical to Aus birds still.

John Leonard

--
John Leonard
Canberra

"I rejoice that there are owls." Thoreau