birding-aus

Canning Stock Route

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Canning Stock Route
From: "Don and Llane" <>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 11:24:43 +0930
Hello Dejan

I have travelled on the Canning twice in the last 2 years. Not sure whether you
only want to know what birds have been seen or what the CSR is like to travel
on.

If you are looking for logistic info then I strongly recommend you read
(libraries should have it) Canning Stock Route A Travellers Guide Ronele and
Eric Gard. Also if you want detailed day by day data some travellers have put
this type of info on the web. Look in www.exploroz.com Follow the links to
Trek Notes/WDeserts/Canning Stock Route

If  you are interested only in the Princess Parrot and don't have any
particular interest in driving the CSR for the sake of the adventure then I
think I would try Jupiter Well first where I saw flocks of birds last year.
Presumably you would be travelling from Perth. Forty km south of Sanfire
Roadhouse is an unmarked track heading east. It is actually the WAPET Track but
has no sign saying so. The first 50 odd kms are roughish but the track got
better and better and we made fast progress. You cross CSR at Well 33 where you
can refuel and then it is about 200km farther east on a road that was excellent
when we drove it last year. Campers we met at Jupiter Well said they had seen
people towing caravans on the section west of Alice Springs.

If you want more detailed info let me know.

Don Hadden

                       Residing at Canteen Creek, NT

                        Don and Llane Hadden  P O Box 7123
                        Lismore Heights