birding-aus

Superb Parrot in the news - Conservation Status

To: Frank Antram <>
Subject: Superb Parrot in the news - Conservation Status
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 20:20:53 +1000
Frank

The EPBC Act is a right monster, I am glad I don't have to administer it. I have just spent half an hour going through it, and having had extensive experience in a regulatory role with a numbers of NSW State Acts, I would not like to have to hand it up to a Magistrate or Judge to find their way through it.

Interestingly there no clear definitions for "critically endangered"
or "conservation dependent" apart from referring to the list in
Schedule 1 of the Endangered Species Protection Act 1992. The list in Sch 1 only gives "Endangered' and "Vulnerable" species. It is a worry that protected and vulnerable species must be included on a list and
that there is no clear definition of the species statuses as in ESP
Act, which can give a species protection until it makes it way onto a list. Inclusion onto legislative "lists" can be cumbersome and time consuming. If the ESP Act has fallen off the Legislative table, so has the species list, which would mean that no species is protected, as
there is no list extant. Are you sure that the ESP Act has been
rescinded Frank? If an Act is on AUSTLII, it usually means that it is in force, in my experience.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford