birding-aus

A quick trip to South-west Queensland / SA for Grasswrens and Coopers Cr

To: birding aus <>
Subject: A quick trip to South-west Queensland / SA for Grasswrens and Coopers Crossing conditions.
From: robert morris <>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 02:18:35 +0000
Chris Sanderson and I just spent 4 days going to SW Qld and into NSW (Sturt NP)
and SA, looking primarily for 2 grasswrens: Grey and Eyrean.

We were successful at seeing both:

* 4 Grey Grasswrens seen sitting around in a clump of lignum in the early
morning sun on the 3rd May in the Bulloo Lake / Bulloo Lake over flow area.  We
had really good views for a minute or 2 and then they disappeared. It was a
pretty cold morning! The area is dry and the cane grass and lignum is mostly
dead looking.

* 8+ Eyrean Grasswrens between Bollards Lagoon and Merty Merty on dunes with
cane grass, on the 3rd and 4th May. On the 4th Chris and I watched a pair,
getting prolonged views with a scope! Not bad for a grasswren!

We then went looking (optamistically) for Letter-winged Kites and other than
seeing what could have been one hunting at dusk near Innamincka we failed to
find them in some core areas. We of course saw a lot of other good birds on the
trip with my other highlight being all the Banded Whitefaces in the Cameron's
Corner - Merty-Merty section - many of which were flying around song flighting!
Chris's favourite was a day time encounter with an Owlet-Nightjar whilst we
walked along the Strzelecki River.

Yesterday we took a look at Coopers Crossing. The water is flowing deeply in
each channel (en route to Lake Eyre?) and the lignum is green and flowering.
The whole area looks amazing and there are a lot of birds around. We failed to
find Grey Grasswrens here in 2 hours, but the birds must be enjoying the
amazing conditions there now. The problem is there is now so much habitat and
little access due to all the water! Perhaps there will be a population increase
now given the conditions? The road all the way back to Brisbane was sealed and
it's driveable in a day. We left Coopers Creek at 9am and got to Brisbane
around 9pm!

I now need to plan a trip for grasswren no. 10!

Kind regards

Rob Morris

Brisbane, Australia

View photos of singles in your area Click Here
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fdating%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fsearch%2Fsearch%2Easpx%3Fexec%3Dgo%26tp%3Dq%26gc%3D2%26tr%3D1%26lage%3D18%26uage%3D55%26cl%3D14%26sl%3D0%26dist%3D50%26po%3D1%26do%3D2%26trackingid%3D1046138%26r2s%3D1&_t=773166090&_r=Hotmail_Endtext&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org