birding-aus

swans, meek?

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: swans, meek?
From: "Vader Willem Jan Marinus" <>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 14:10:13 +0200

Here in Europe swans are far from meek. Kids are warned not to come too
close to the Mute Swans, especially when they have young, as they can
become very aggressive in the defense of their young, and have been known
to break arms. And a pair of Whooper Swans not too far from Tromsø killed
an adult sheep, that also had strayed too close to the nest, and---as
sheeps are wont to do---had  run the wrong way, and got stuck at a fence.
I have little experience with Black swans this was, only remember that one
at one of your innumerable animal petting parks, which I visited with my
small kids back in 1986, got mad at me and picked my glasses off my nose,
thereby effectively disarming me.

Wim Vader
PS of course I have not seen the advert concenrend