birding-aus

Eurasian Curlew at Broome

To: <>
Subject: Eurasian Curlew at Broome
From: "Wynton Maddeford" <>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 19:58:21 +0800
I was interested to read about George Swann's sighting of a Eurasian Curlew at
Broome on 13 April.

I was holidaying at Kalbarri (600kms north of Perth) on 11 April and observed a
large Curlew at the Murchison River mouth near the channel entrance to the
ocean and assumed it was an Eastern. However when it took flight I noticed it
had a white rump and when I returned to the caravan park and checked the Pizzey
guide I noticed it coincided with a Eurasian Curlew and not the Eastern that
has a brown rump.

Owing to its rarity status I dismissed my observation as I am not generally
very familiar with waders and assumed I must have got it wrong. I am familiar
with the Whimbrel and the bird I saw had a very much longer bill than a
Whimbrel's.

It is possible this may have been the bird George saw (waders are moving north
at this time of the year) or perhaps this could have been another Eurasian
Curlew or something else?

If anyone is travelling to Kalbarri in the near future it may still be
worthwhile checking out this area for this bird.

Regards   Wynton  Maddeford