birding-aus

Thomas & Thomas - Eungella Honeyeater

To: <>
Subject: Thomas & Thomas - Eungella Honeyeater
From: "Lisa & Dominic" <>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 20:34:21 +1000
Close examination of p82 of Thomas & Thomas' very interesting book describes
where to see Eungella Honeyeaters.

Directions in the book (and I hope I am not infringing copyright here) are,
starting from Eungella village: "When you reach the top of the steep
escarpment, bear right on to Dalrymple Road and follow it for 16 km, then turn
left down Chelmans road and follow this to where it ends at a forestry gate.
Park here and walk though the gate, following the overgrown track."

We followed these directions of 28th Feb, 2009 and ended up seeing about 5-6
Eungella Honeyeaters during a walk of about 1-2 km along the track. The
Honeyeaters are easy to detect by their very loud calls which, by definition,
don't sound like any other bird you have heard before. They were feeding on red
flowering mistletoe up in the canopy.

It was also nice to see good numbers of Topknots here, at very close range.

Co ordinates are: 21 02 413   148 34 249  943metres asl  Time surveying 11.30 -
13.30

The list of birds seen along the walking track is:

Eungella Honeyeater
Red-tailed Black-cockatoo
Grey Whistler
Grey Fantail
White-browed Scrub-wren
Wompoo
Topknot
E. Yellow robin
E. Whipbird
Silvereye
Red-browed Finch

No birds were disturbed or upset in any way during these observations.

BOCA Bird Observer magazine April 2001 also has an interesting article about
Eungella Honeyeaters. Here they were also seen at nearby Diggins Road and Snake
Road.

But, it is known that in winter these birds leave the rainforest and feed on
insects elsewhere. I also made a visit to Chelmans Road in July 2006 and no
Eungella Honeyeaters were detected. I don't know if they would still be there
in April.

If Mr & Mrs Thomas happen to be reading this, can I suggest they modify the
directions for the next edition. It would be useful to suggest that birders not
park beside the gate right at the end of Chelmans Road, but stop on the higher
ground 100m back. It would be very embarassing if someone were to park say,
their Ford Falcon, in the slippery mud at the end of the track and have to be
pulled out by the nice farmer with the tractor who lives close by.

Cheers,

Dominic

Lisa Tanner & Dominic Chaplin
PO Box 208