birding-aus

Common Tern observation

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Common Tern observation
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 12:45:55 +1000
Hi Everyone,

Having watched Common Terns for some years, I am now teaching myself to age them in the field, using plumage features. I am building up a portfolio of photos of the distinctive plumages from month to month. This has led me to a rather interesting observation, suggesting that perhaps immatures segregate themselves from adults at certain times and at certain places.

In early March I spent a week at Brunswick Heads in northern NSW. My regular patch is the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, about 2-3 hrs drive to the north. Down in Brunswick Heads I was puzzled to find that almost every Common Tern I photographed was an immature. On the last day I saw a few adults, as if they had just arrived. At around the same time, a British birder was visiting his daughter at Ballina, also in northern NSW but further south of Brunswick, and made the same observation. At the time he assumed that the immatures would stay there for the coming months. I told him I doubted that very much.

Yesterday I was conducting shorebird and tern surveys in the Noosa estuary on the northern end of the Sunshine Coast. In a flock of about 1000 Common Terns, I couldn't see a single immature bird, nor did my 200 photos turn up any immatures. All were adults acquiring breeding plumage prior to their northern migration in the coming weeks.

I am starting to wonder if the immatures segregate themselves prior to migration. A few Commons hang around Moreton Bay during the winter, but not anything like the numbers of immatures we see during the summer (to my knowledge). I don't think we know where the immatures spend the northern summer. I have been told that the nominate species (Sterna hirundo) immatures stay behind in Africa and don't migrate to Europe with the adults, but we don't know what happens with our subspecies (longipennis) in the East Asian-Australasian Flyway.

Or do we? Does anyone have any information to add to this puzzle? I don't know what happens in northern NSW during our winter. Could the immatures stay there? Are they seen there during the winter?

Cheers,

Jill
--
Jill Dening