birding-aus

Barbary Doves in Adelaide

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Barbary Doves in Adelaide
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 16:29:22 +1000

I saw and photographed Barbary Doves Streptopelia 'risoria' in or adjacent to the back garden of a house in Sampson Road, Elizabeth Grove, a northern suburb of Adelaide, on 3 April 2009. Best views were obtained from a pedestrian laneway linking Sampson Road to Grateley Street, entrance opposite Patney Street (UBD 1999 Adelaide Street Directory, p. 62 A8). Probably 12 Barbary Doves, maximum of 10 together, were seen between 16.00 & 16.30. Other birds assembling as if about to be fed included Crested Pigeons (9), Spotted Doves (5), House Sparrows, Common Starlings, Noisy Miners and New Holland Honeyeaters. Most of these were perched in exposed positions on dead branches of a tallish tree whereas the Barbary Doves were secreted low within the dense foliage of a small cypress tree overhanging the laneway where they appeared to be sheltering from a strong cool breeze. They were quite tame but the four birds present between 09.00 and 09.10 next morning were less confiding. The birds were a uniform pale sandy colour all over with a prominent black half collar around the sides and hind-neck and a shortish tail. Thus they lacked the darker grey ventral area present in Collared Dove S. decaocto. Some but not all birds had a pale blue wash to some inner remiges and the base of the outer rectrices. I will post two photographs on ABID.

I thank Tony Russell for advising that Barbary Doves were reputedly present in a garden in nearby Sidbury Street. This was one of several sites that I was given and the first I tried. Apparently this species is now widespread and expanding throughout much of Adelaide.

Although a somewhat ignoble tick, this was a milestone as it took me to 810 on my list of species recorded within Australia and its Territories.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mount Eliza  VIC 3930
Tel  (03) 9787 7136