birding-aus

Some birds know when people are watching them

To: L&L Knight <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: Some birds know when people are watching them
From: Scot Mcphee <>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 10:14:05 +1000

On 04/04/2009, at 09:57 , L&L Knight wrote:

See http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/04/090402124238.htm

Absolutely. I have always found that Torresian Crows, to name just one example, definitely get even more nervy and jumpy when they notice you are observing their behaviour. This includes a characteristic "what are you looking at?" posture they adopt before moving off. Also, rock pigeons always seem, to me, to be nervous of humans actually noticing them, especially when they are perched above the ground (where I expect they expect not to be noticed).

Besides, noticing a potential predator looking at you would have a certain evolutionary advantage I'd imagine.