birding-aus

Swift Parrots

To: Ricki Coughlan <>, birdingaus aus <>
Subject: Swift Parrots
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 00:08:47 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Ricki,

Just to add to that, there has been a similar influx of Musk Lorikeets in the
Hunter. They are basically widespread from the coast to the upper Hunter
Valley. On the coast they have been into the Bloodwoods and in the valley
(lower and upper) they have been into the Bloodwoods but also Grey Gums. I have
seen them in places I never have before, such as Stockton Sandspit and even
inner-suburban Newcastle.

Little Lorikeets have also been present in good numbers, mostly in the lower
parts of the valley but on the coast too (for example Phil Hansboro and I
watched a flock of nearly 30 birds flying around madly over Seal Rocks on
Sunday - with no blossom to speak of in the vicinity).

It's interesting that you have had Spotted Gums flowering already down there. I
have noticed a couple of isolated trees flowering at Taree and my brother Steve
reported a couple starting near Cessnock. They have been budding here for well
over 12 months now and I had advice from an apiarist that Spotties can take up
to 20 months to flower from bud, so hopefully it will 'happen' this year.

Of interest, in a small group of flowering Grey Gums near Kurri a couple of
weeks ago I watched all 4 Lorikeets (Scalies the lowest in number, probably
Littles the most numerous with about 20 birds present), Yellow-tufted,
White-naped, Brown-headed, White-cheeked, Fuscous, Lewin's and Yellow-faced
HE's, Noisy Friars and even a group of Dusky Woodswallows feeding on the
blossom. The Duskies looked like an 'Ashy Lorikeet' given their shape and
behaviour feeding on the blossom.

Some Swamp Mahoganies have begun flowering around Port Stephens / Great Lakes
so yes, it is indeed time to keep an eye out for Swifties. Likewise, Hunter
birdo's should keep their eyes and ears peeled for Regent HE's - it looks great
for them also. This is particularly important given that they bred successfully
in the Spotted Gum / Ironbark forests near Kurri Kurri at the end of 2007 at a
time when they failed to breed successfully elsewhere. These very forests are
under direct threat from some major development proposals at present and any
recent records of these species could be crucial to further highlighting the
significance of these forests to these nationally endangered species.

If anyone wants directions to some key locations to look for SP/RH in the
Hunter, contact me off list.

Mick Roderick