birding-aus

RFI, Tilba, South Coast, NSW

To: Jill Dening <>
Subject: RFI, Tilba, South Coast, NSW
From: David Adams <>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 08:39:31 +1100
On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 2:37 PM, Jill Dening <> wrote:
> I'm also going down there after Easter for 6 weeks, actually to Narooma, so
> would anyone with information about birds please also let me know?

I've been away so I can't give any up-to-the-minute accounts, but I
can offer a few suggestions. For reference, I live about 20 minutes
from Tilba or Narooma north of Bermagui.

* Yes, the rainforest walk north of Narooma is worth a visit. It's a
short walk but pretty. Barbara Jones discovered Catbirds there some
years back and they were still there when I checked last year. I think
this is about as far south as they extend. The trail isn't that hard
to find but it doesn't hurt to pick up a map at the Narooma Visitor's
Centre (it has a little lighthouse out front.)

* The trails, roads, and logging tracks behind Tilba are good for the
typical forest birds of the area.

* For years (about 10) there has been a lone Bush Stone-Curlew on the
grounds of the Narooma Library. I haven't looked forit lately but
someone may know if it's still around. They're always a pleasure to
see and not otherwise visible in the area.

Tilba and Narooma are in the Eurobodalla Shire - there is a
Eurobodalla Shire Natural History Society that makes field
observations and has outings. You can get their contact details at
http://www.ausbird.com/nsw.html. Just south of the Eurobodalla is the
Bega Valley Shire, which runs all the way to Victoria. If you drive
down the Princes Highway and pass through Akolele onto a causeway,
you're changing shires. Last year a book was published that describes
dozens of sights in the Bega Valley Shire:

   Birdwatching on the Far South Coast - New South Wales
   Places to Go - Birds to See
   ISBN 978-0-646-50297-7

You can read more about it and download some bird route information
sheets (PDF) as well from the club's Web site:

http://www.thebegavalley.org.au/6224.html

I know the book is on sale at several locations if you want to have a
look at it. I'm not sure quite who has it now - hopefully Barbara
Jones will chime in with an update.

* Speaking of the causeway across Wallaga Lake, it's a great place to
stop. Wallaga Lake is a large tidal lake but, because of silting, it
is usually closed to the ocean (this is the case now.) There's a
parking area on the causeway which is an ideal spot for a stop. Black
Swans, Spoonbills, Cormorants, ducks of various sorts, etc. If you
have a scope, it's handy hear but definitely not necessary. Just past
here (heading south), take a left into Wallaga Lake Heights and head
to the water until you find a parking area with a set of swings. From
here, there is a lovely boardwalk along the side of the lake that
leads to a trail out to the Murunna Point headlands. You can follow
the trails here over to Camel Rock on the other side, if you like,
leaving out birds - it's a lovely walk and a great place for whale
watching in the right season. As to birds, the sand islands on the
Wallaga Lake side (the north side - near the parking) are often
interesting. There were three Hooded Plovers there last month when the
bird club stopped in for a visit. The headland is often good for
Pipit, and the area gets a huge range of raptors over the course of
the year.

* Heading further south by a few ks, the Long Swamp (Old Tilba Road)
which has been mentioned is usually worth a visit - although it looks
like the water level is low at the moment. We had some resident Musk
Ducks there for some time, but I haven't checked lately. The
northernmost hide is the one where the water level stays highest
longest. Oh, this is often a good place for Variegated Fairywren (this
is close to as far south as they get, I'm told.)

* Heading a few ks south again (but before the Cobargo turn-off)
you'll reach one of my favorite areas - the Bermagui State Forest.
They're still not logging this compartment, so it's worth a visit.
Turn right (away from the ocean) into the forest and you'll find
there's a small road network and a picnic area stretching over several
ks of spotted gum forest. Where the roads make a T intersection,
there's a particularly productive section of rainforest. There's a lot
you can see in this forest, day or night. This is a good place for
migrants (Rufous Fantail & Monarch) during the right season. We rarely
see Glossy Blacks (three flew over the house this morning), more often
Gang-Gang. It's a good location for honey-eaters on the move and the
resident birds are numerous. For mammals, there are the usual possums
and Yellow-Bellied Gliders.

As to good scones, try "Cream" in Bermagui for the baked goods and, of
course, the Bermagui Gelato Clinic is not to be missed ;-)