birding-aus

RFI, Tilba, South Coast, NSW - and Narooma

To: <>, <>
Subject: RFI, Tilba, South Coast, NSW - and Narooma
From: "Arwen B. Ximenes" <>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 22:11:08 +1100
Hi Alistair and Jill,

I camped in Narooma with my family just before Christmas. We picked up a bird
list for the area at the NPWS Office, you might be able to get one there or
have them posted - near the bridge at Narooma:
Phone: (02) 4476 0800
Fax: (02) 4476 2757
Street address: Cnr Graham & Burrawang Sts, Narooma NSW

Also picked up a map from the tourist info centre on "Narooma Birdwatching
Opportunities" years ago which is handwritten, so from north to south
(depending on season):

Blackfellows Beach - just north of Potato Point. There is a sandspit which you
can walk to from Blackfellows Beach. Waders, shorebirds (little terns).

Brou Lake - waders, shorebirds

Lagoon near Bar Beach (south of Kianga) good for nesting swans

Wagonga Inlet, Narooma - north side of channel. Waders, migrants in summer,
shorebirds. Sea Eagles roost and nest in the upper reaches of the inlet.

Nungudga Lake - shallow water birds

Montague Island - seabirds/raptors; little penguins come in at dusk

Ioso Beach/Tilba Lake - shorebirds, hooded plovers.

Wallaga lake entrance - Shorebirds, migrants, waders, hooded plovers and little
terns on beach. Roosts near bridge and ocean.

This time, had I not just found out I was pregnant, and had all the
accompanying symptoms, I would have been keen to hire bikes to try out a couple
of the cycle routes there, see below for website on cycling in the area
(Narooma, Tilba, Bermagui). One of the rides (as I recall it may be no. 12 from
Bermagui) apparently goes through wetlands and has a bird hide. I think you can
hire a bike from a shop at Bermagui - I'm not sure about Narooma. Tilba area
might be a bit challenging with all the hills.

http://www.cyclingnarooma.com.au/

The walk up Mount Dromedary (Gulaga) from Central Tilba is nice for birds as I
recall, though I only did part of it over 3 years ago. At that time we saw
Hooded Plovers on the beach just north of the Island View Beach Resort where we
camped (can't remember the name of the beach).

I think the guided tour of Montague Island was a bit over priced and over
rated, (as, I agree with Evan, is Central Tilba, in general - a bit too twee
for me). Don't miss Mystery Bay.

I would have liked to try the Cowdroys Creek Rainforest walk (picked up a map
from the Narooma Visitor's Centre).

Food: The Quarterdeck is great for breakfast and a decent coffee (in Narooma)
and we saw a few waders around there. The fish and chips shop next door is the
most popular, though I heard from a local that the best one is on the highway
on the right after you come across the bridge. Good fresh seafood can be bought
from the little hut on the left just before you cross the bridge from the
north. There are one or two companies that do Wagonga Inlet cruises which might
be fun for the family.

We stayed the fifth night this time at a B&B as I really needed sleep - found a
place called Pub Hill Farm http://www.pubhillfarm.com/Home.htm - they boast
quite a bird list collected over the years by visitors (though I believe some
species have been mis-identified). We saw Nankeen night-herons roosting in
trees down near the water which was nice and I'm sure I heard Glossy-black
Cockatoos, which wouldn't be too surprising given the river oaks around. It's a
dog friendly B&B though and don't go the night they wean the calves (what a
rude shock it was the following morning!!). Great for birds there though. It's
right at the far end of Wagonga Inlet.

Hope this may help in some way. It's a lovely part of NSW.

Arwen

Arwen Blackwood Ximenes

Lawson, Blue Mountains, NSW