birding-aus

Quick trip to Brisbane (CBD only) 22-25 March

To: Birding Australia <>
Subject: Quick trip to Brisbane (CBD only) 22-25 March
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 19:38:56 +1000
Tom, I haven't seen any rails at the Roma St Parklands for a year or two.

Regards, Laurie.

On 27/03/2009, at 7:29 PM, Tom and Mandy Wilson wrote:

Hi all
first up, thanks to all those who responded to my RFI from the other week. Sadly, my trip was truncated so I had no free evenings in Brisbane to explore further afield than the CBD. Sunday late afternoon I visited the Botanic Gardens - not much about in the gardens themselves - lots of White Ibis & Torresian Crows, Figbirds and Lorikeets in the trees and Tree Martins & Welcome Swallows hawking over the fig trees. Walking back along the river I saw a parent and streaky juvenile Striated Heron very close up. Monday morning I walked across to Roma St Parklands and saw more of the same, plus several Blue Faced and Brown Honeyeaters, Superb Blue Wrens in the gardens of the apartment blocks on the park's north side and - what I was really looking for - a pair of Bush Stone Curlew. They were just up from the Spectacle Garden and the short flight of stairs that lead up from the cafe complex. They were mostly unfussed by the noise and commotion from the "boot camps" running about in the gardens and most people I think would have walked past them without noticing them, as they were on a good patch of mulch where their cryptic colouring really worked well. No Reed Warblers in the reeds around the ponds (at least not calling) and no Buff Banded Rails either - are the rails still there? Tuesday morning walking across the river I saw a falcon circling quite high above the water - it looked too small and slim line to be a Peregrine - in fact I thought it looked like a big swift, so I reckon it was a Hobby - but I was binocular-free at the time, so I can't be sure.
Cheers
Tom Wilson