birding-aus

Re-American and Black Grasswren

To: "'birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Re-American and Black Grasswren
From: "Jackett family" <>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 19:14:11 +1100
Lucky guy seeing the Black Grasswren.  We took the cheaper option when we
drove 16,500 kms last winter to the Top End and the Kimberleys from the
South Coast of NSW.  We drove at 30 kph down the badly corrugated dirt road
to Mitchell Plateau and only had 2 nights there due to travel restraints
getting back (it was an 11 week trip), I had no luck at the known spots for
Black Grasswren around Little Merten Falls.  I possibly heard them calling
as there was a distinctly different call to the Variegated Fairy-wrens but
as I had never heard there call before could not confirm this.  After
spending quite a few hours at different times of the day it wasn't to be. We
instead had to settle for 4 Partridge Pigeons (race blaauwi) at our campsite
one morning.

We are off again in May to Lake Eyre so I hope to see some other Grasswrens
on that trip among other new species.
Can anyone tell me if the Thomas and Thomas guide is available somewhere?

(PS - Our Mazda BT50 Ute, was fantastic for the whole trip driving on many
4wd tracks and not one flat tyre on the trip! We also went across the
Simpson Desert with it hassle free).  All of course thanks to my husbands
superb driving skills!

Regards
Carla Jackett
Kangaroo Valley NSW