birding-aus

QLD Oil Spill - Help needed

To: "" <>
Subject: QLD Oil Spill - Help needed
From: Rob Clemens <>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 14:00:28 +1100
Hey all,

Andrew Geering from the Queensland Wader Study Group sent me the following
information
(which I have cut and paste from a few e-mails) regarding the need for bird
surveys in the Moreton Bay region ASAP (site of the recent Oil Spill). I'm
guessing
people could check with Nicola (see below) to find out where best to survey, if
you don't have a place in mind already.

Cheers - Rob

More sets of eyes and scopes are needed down at Moreton Bay, Pumicestone Passage
and the Sunshine Coast to look for oil-affected birds. All reports, whether of
oil-affected birds or not, are needed to allow the EPA to determine the extent
of the problem.

I have just spoken to Nicola Udy from the EPA, who is managing rehabilitation
of wildlife affected by oil from the recent spill.

She asked me to see if I could mobilise QWSG members to take their scopes down
to the Bay, to their normal roost sites, to scan the flocks to see if there are
any oil-affected birds. They are just as interested in observations of lack of
impact on the birds as they are of reports of affected birds, as the data will
help determine the geographical extent of the problem. She said that the
intertidal flats have generally avoided being polluted by the oil, and probably
seabirds and waterbirds such as terns, pelicans and cormorants, are more likely
to be affected.

If you see an oiled bird please call either:
1 300 130 372 (EPA Hotline) then select 9 then 1, or
0437 230 382 (my mobile)
ASAP

Once completed the count, please email a summary (total waders, seabirds,
waterbirds, oil affected birds, location, time, date) to
 and

If you can go down to the Bay asap, that also would be appreciated.

Ideally report your findings on the same day so the data can be included in
daily situation reports.

Best Wishes

Andrew

Robert Clemens