birding-aus

Swifts on Bribie Island

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Swifts on Bribie Island
From: "Trevor Ford" <>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 11:37:28 +1000
A quick note in response to a posting a week or so ago about numbers of House
Swifts on Bribie Island, QLD:

I have seen mixed flocks of White-throated Needletails and Fork-tailed Swifts
over the southern end of Bribie Island (some 70km north of Brisbane, Qld) both
late last year and early this year. But not for well over a month now. They
normally fly together; i.e. they don't tend to separate into two flocks, one
higher than the other. The species most commonly mistaken for Australian
Swiftlet (I've not heard of House Swift claimed here before) is Fairy Martin.
They fly in loose flocks and are normally pretty high up in this neck of the
woods, far more so than when they are 'investigating' their bridges. Also
beware of needletails in wing-moult."

Cheers - Trevor.

Trevor Ford