birding-aus

Bali

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Bali
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 13:09:30 +1100

To all the people who kindly offered books or advice on which book to get for my trip to Bali in July, very many thanks. Great generosity from all. What a useful and informed group this is!!

The MacKinnon/Phillips appears to be out of print - Amazon would not say when it would be available. Singapore said they have it for US$94 or so, so I decided to spend that amount in Oz dollars by getting from Andrew Isles the following two books (the 2nd is for my sister who is casual birdwatcher). I am also borrowing a field worn copy of MacK & P to compare qualities/contents.

Robson, Craig. A field guide to the birds of south-east Asia. London:  (2008
second edition, revised). Octavo, dustwrapper, 544 pp., 120 colour  BRAND NEW.
AU$60.00

This fully updated edition includes more than 20 new species for the region which are recent discoveries, taxonomic "splits" or have been recorded there for the first time. There are many new artworks including 16 more colour plates. Describes and fully illustrates, in all plumage variations, all bird species found in south-east Asia. Covers Myanmar (Burma), Thailand, Peninsular Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. Also shows a wide range of species found in the Indian subcontinent, China, Taiwan, Sumatra, Java, Bali, Borneo and the Philippines. The book is divided into two sections: the colour plates with brief species description and the second section with detailed species accounts.

Tilford, Tony and Alain Compost. A photographic guide to birds of Java,
Sumatra and Bali. London: (2003 reprint). Octavo, paperback, 136 pp., colour
photographs. AU$25.00