birding-aus

Birding in South Malaysia - JB

To: Steve Potter <>
Subject: Birding in South Malaysia - JB
From: David Adams <>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 15:47:11 +1100
On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Steve Potter <> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am a visiting birder from Australia.
>
> In 2 weeks I will be attending a conference that is based at the Tanjong
> Puteri Golf Resort JB Malaysia. I also plan to spend a few days extra there
> for a break.
>
> Is anyone familiar with his area? Any suggestions for birding? Initial
> research shows that the resort itself has forest around it and that it is
> just across the straight from Pulau Ubin. Also there looks to be a treatment
> works close by?

I don't know if you can get into Palau Ubin from Malaysia directly but
the land-crossing between the two countries is tedious, at best.
Prepare to wait for hours in either direction. There are a lot of
Malaysian's working in Singapore, so traffic can be particularly heavy
through the border at the ends of the weekends and holidays. So, you
might be better of staying in Malaysia itself.

With that said, the Singapore birding list often discusses visiting
Panti forest - it sounds like a real highlight in the area. If you go,
I'd love to hear an up-to-date report. I'd suggest asking on the Wild
Bird Singapore list or checking their Web resources:

Note that Panti was evidentally given stronger protection lately,
which is a good thing for conservation, access and personal safety.
Ask on the Wild Bird list for more details. They can also probably
suggest some other good areas.

I've just noticed a blog for Panti, but there isn't much on it yet:

panti-bird-sanctuary.blogspot.com

Have a great trip!